What to Expect
What to expect
At Oakview Baptist church you will feel the love and unity of a close-knit church family that will welcome you with open arms. You will quickly notice that there is a wide variety of ages that range from older mature Christians to young families and many young kids. We are so thankful for the younger generation that God has blessed us with and allowed us the privilege and great responsibility of building in them a foundation of the Word of God. You will be greeted by many members who are truly excited to have you visit as well as a loving Pastor. The choir, musicians, and song director will then lead you in worship by singing more traditional hymns for the congregational singing. We normally have special singing that may be southern gospel style or newer contemporary songs that exalt Christ. The pastor will then preach loving and passionately from the Word of God a powerful message that God spoke to Him that may challenge, convict, encourage and/or strengthen you in your faith. There will be a time of invitation/altar call where you can make a decision/dedication to God or go ask for prayer from the pastor or pastors’ wife. We would be honored to have you as our guest, and we hope to see you very soon!
- Is there a dress code? Many people wonder and are afraid to ask if there is a dress code. We believe that man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart. There is no set dress code or expectation at Oakview Baptist church. We are not concerned about what people wear as long as it is decent and not distracting. Most of our members dress in a more traditional “Sunday” dress but our goal is for you to be comfortable and not worried about if you are dressed according to a certain standard.
- What time are services? We have Sunday School for all ages and spiritual maturity levels at 10:00am. We believe Sunday school is a great tool for discipleship and to be apart of a small group setting where you can grow in your faith together. Our morning worship service starts directly after Sunday school at exactly 11:00am and last typically for about one hour. We also have prayer meeting at 6:00 pm followed by our evening worship service at 6:30. Wednesday night the kids meet at 6:30 for games, Bible study, and food and the adult service starts at 7:00pm.
- What do you have for the kids? We believe in investing in our kids and keeping everything fun for them while at the same time not compromising our convictions. We have children’s church that starts about 11:30am which is optional for kids 4 years old to 9 years old. We also have nursery for kids younger than 4 if needed during Sunday school and worship services. Wednesday night the kids meet at 6:30. We have separate groups for teens and younger kids to play games, a time of Bible study, and dinner. This is a great opportunity for kids to interact with other Christian kids and grow closer to God and each other. Every year we also have Vacation Bible School for kids. We have a tremendous time of fun and lifelong memories with friends. There are also many different activities, rallies, conferences,, ect... that your child can be apart of
- What type of music? We lean towards the traditional hymns but understand that the Holy Spirit can exalt Christ in any song no matter the date it was written. We welcome any song that can engage your mind and spirit in worshipping Christ. For that reason, you may hear a mix of hymns, southern gospel, and contemporary music. Our rule of thumb is that the music must not distract from the message.
- Am I expected to participate in offering? No. We do not ask you to visit just to receive an offering from you. In fact if you are an active member of another church we would ask that you give your tithes to your home church. Our mission is not to make money. Our mission is to reach the lost with the gospel and edify believers in the Word of God.
- What are the first steps of getting involved? You can take advantage of the core classes that pastor Jarrett Wells teaches at 10:00 am on Sunday morning. This is the best opportunity to see what Oakview is all about and meet the pastor in a small group setting. In this class we talk and teach on the fundamentals of our faith as well as the convictions we hold as Oakview Baptist church that seperates us from other churches. This is a great class to ask questions and get in great group discussions. In this class we will focus on three main topics 1. Information (our core beliefs) 2. Expectation (what we ask of our members) 3. Assimilation (how you can get involved and use your gifts within the church). You will see information of when this class is currently in process or you can contact us my email.
- Do you support missions? Absolutley! We believe this is the main purpose of the church in fulfilling the great commision of reaching the world with the gospel. We support many different missionaries and missions throughout the world.
If you have any other questions we would be more than happy to answer them. Please contact us by email or come visit us any time!